Monday, February 21, 2011

Grandpa


On November 20th 2010 my grandfather Robert Farnes Leininger passed away in Concord, California. He had entered the hospital a week before and was rushed into surgery for a double aortic aneurism. They were telling us that he would not make it through the surgery and that we should be preparing for the worst. He pulled through and was looking better and better everyday. His vitals were never very stable so he remained in the hospital throughout the week. He and my mom were able to have a couple hours to talk and just hold hands on Friday (throughout the week he had been kept in a coma like state to help with his healing. He also had a tube in his throat and every time he woke up he would thrash and try to pull it out.) Then early Saturday morning he had a heart attack and passed on. I was blessed to have grown up right next door to him. He was always there to love and I hope he knew how much I cared for him. When I was growing up, he would always drive me to my dance classes, piano lessons, and anywhere else I might need to go. He loved doing it to. It was precious. He would always be waiting fifteen to twenty minutes early for me, running the AC if it was hot or the heater if it was cold, just to make sure I was comfortable. Then, as we would drive, he would tell me stories of his life, either past or present and I would just listen and enjoy. He was also the man who fixed everything for me. When I was little I would always bring over broken toys and he would do all he could to repair them. I’m grateful to have known the man and we were blessed to keep him with us for ninety years. His funeral was the following Tuesday (11/23/10) and it was a beautiful service. My father, Uncle Bart, and Uncle Steve all spoke and there was a variety of musical numbers. All the family was together, and by all I mean everyone! Our house was insanity! But, it was very enjoyable and we were all able to be together for Thanksgiving, a first in many years.

Love and miss you always.

No comments:

Post a Comment