Saturday, December 12, 2009

The Spirit of Christmas

So fun fact about me: i love christmas, i know a lot of people say that, but really, i LOVE christmas, its my favorite time of the year, i love the food, the decorations, finding the perfect gift, the smells, the happy spirit everyone has, the grinch and other favorite christmas stories, even the perfectly white snow on the groud outside my apartment.

but this year, i've been so distracted with finals that i'm not in the cheery christmas mood that usually accopanies me at christmas time. i was ms. christmas when i was home with the family decorating our house after thanksgiving, but since then i haven't been very christmas-y, i try to listen to christmas music (like i am now :) ) so that i can get in the mind set, and it helps sometimes, but my christmas sparkle is not shining through, i think it has something to do with my complete focus on concentration on finals and my school work and me me me, i'm being the selfish mr. scrooge, worrying less about everyone else and more on myself, and i know finals are important, and i've been working hard to get to this point and there's no way i'm not finishing on a high, BUT there's no reason i can't be carrying that feeling of christmas that normally follows me in my daily activities while i do it. so i decided to make a little post everyday ill christmas (hopefully), my ode to christmas and the true spirit of christmas. i stole the daily post idea from my friend ashley, she's great :)

on my last day of D&C my professor gave us this quote:

"This Christmas, mend a quarrel. Seek out a forgotten friend. Dismiss suspicion and replace it with trust. Write a letter. Give a soft answer. Encourage youth. Manifest your loyalty in word and deed. Keep a promise. Forgo a grudge. Forgive an enemy. Apologize. Try to understand. Examine your demands on others. Think first of someone else. Be kind. Be gentle. Laugh a little more.
"Express your gratitude. Welcome a stranger. Gladden the heart of a child. Take pleasure in the beauty and wonder of the earth. Speak your love and the speak it again...Christmas is a celebration, and there is no celebration that compares with the realization of the true meaning of Christmas - with the sudden stirring of the heart that has extended itself unselfishly in the things that matter most." - President Howard W. Hunter

and in case that wasn't enough, here's the most adorable video from Mormon Messages

http://www.youtube.com/user/MormonMessages#p/a/u/0/tXXwtFWpAI8

love and merry christmas season!

j

No comments:

Post a Comment