Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Sun, Polo, and a Princess

Courtesy of the wonderful people at Southwest every once and a while we get free tickets. My mom asked me if I wanted to use the free ticket to fly to socal and spend the weekend with her and baby sister M at M's water polo tournament in San Diego. I jumped at the chance because I was so excited to get out of Provo, see my family, and spend some time in the warm sunshine.

My journey began, courtesy of those great people at Southwest, with me flying from Salt Lake to Phoenix, Arizona. I've never been to Phoenix, but the airport was crazy busy. Maybe one day I'll go to Arizona and stay for more than an hour and a half.

Once I landed in Burbank, CA I was picked up by my uncle and brought to his house in Augora Hills. Roo and my mom hadn't come yet so as he dropped me off at his house he told me to just hang out, or put on my suit if I wanted to swim. Now remember, I've been stuck in Provo for the last 4 1/2 months, where my average outfit always at least consists of a hoodie of some kind and jeans. The thought of sitting by the pool in my swimsuit was more than appealing. I read my book my the pool, worked on my tan, and patiently waited for my family to arrive.

After what felt like forever they finally arrived. It is always so great to be reunited with my family. They are the people that, no matter what, I know will always love me. There is something so unique and special about that. I also love spending time with my baby sister. Not only is she adorable, but now we're finally at the point where we're like real sisters. Because I'm 8 years older than her it's always been more of a mother-child relationship, but as she's gotten older I've been able to see what a sister relationship is supposed to be like, and I love it.

That night we went and saw my two cousins in Jekyll and Hyde. Very weird show, very dark story, but really beautiful music. And my cousin Lacy was fantastic.

The next morning we began our journey down to San Diego where we would be spending the weekend sitting by a pool watching water polo. We checked into our hotel, which has a very nice view.
Our hotel was right on the water by the boats, and the airport. So we got to see all these pretty boats while hearing all the planes take off and land.

Friday afternoon was game time. They won their first game, and I really enjoyed watching and trying to figure out what the heck was going on. That night we went out to dinner with her team and headed home to the hotel so Roo could get some rest.
Game 1

Saturday began bright and early with a game at 8:30. This was also the longest day there. We had four games that day, spaced throughout the day. We spent the whole day driving either from pool to pool, to get food, or from the hotel and back. Lots of driving and polo. They won 3 out of their 4 games this day with the evening game being a nail biter. We almost won but lost in the last few seconds by one goal. The team was a little upset, but they did their best so as the cheering section we were very proud.
That's my sister blocking that goal!
How she looks most of the time.
Very proud big sister
Finally the last game of the day.

We spent Sunday driving back to L.A. and hanging out together.
My flight was the next morning at 9, and because of lovely LA traffic we had to leave at 6:30. This time I had the opportunity to stop in Vegas. Never been to Las Vegas before, but here was my impressions: wow, lots of slot machines, interesting characters, outside reminds me of home. The end.

Now I'm back in Provo for Spring term. Taking only 3 classes is kind of weird, but I like it, I think. I'm taking Marriage Prep, second half of the D&C, and my first art class at BYU. I didn't realize how fast we move in a term, it's going to be a little crazy! But what else is new?

Love,
J

ps: I will admit I watched parts of the royal wedding, and bought the magazine that told me all about it. What an amazing day!
Can I please be a princess? Pretty please? That's been my life dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment